Monday, April 30, 2012

We Are Over Run By Cicada Bugs



These have to be the ugliest bugs on the planet and they are all over my yard!




They are call the the Periodical Cicada and they emerge from the ground once every 17 years.


They have taken over my flower gardens and left their nasty shells all over my plants and driveway!
(here is what their shells look like)
You can learn more about them here...
National Geographic Webpage


I remember hiking to Abram Falls in the Smokey Mountains years ago and hearing a very loud sound. We stopped to ask a park ranger and he told us it was Cicadas. I didn't see any that day, just heard them. They can be heard up to mile away.


 So if you are camping this year and 
see or hear these bugs, there is no need to worry. 
They are harmless, 
just ugly and loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment